mikedolbear.com discussion forum

Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

Main Site | Shop | Classifieds | Links | Events | Frappr | Terms of Use

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Drummers Forum
 Ahead snares

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
qunvat Posted - 29/04/2012 : 11:27:47
Just ordered / bought one of these and on its way, anyone got one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140742983760?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2899wt_1220
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shaggi Posted - 04/05/2012 : 20:23:40
Ahead have those anti-slip rods (The ones split and filled with nylon or something).

They deffo don't detune, although it makes tuning with a torque key impossible.
NormanHouse Posted - 03/05/2012 : 11:24:21
What is the tuning stability like on these Aheads? Did I read that the rods are slit or sprung or something to stop the dreaded detune at the 7 o'clock position.

I've tried 'lug lockerz' and Tama sprung washers with limited succes. I like the look of the Aheads but am drawn to those Pearl Ian Paice models with the lock nuts. Why don't more makers do this?
Shaggi Posted - 30/04/2012 : 15:37:28
That's pretty interesting.

I'm on my 3rd (I think!) Ahead, I keep selling them and then regretting it and buying another one!

On my middle one, I put a DCH on the top and changed to a standard style, but decent quality snare (Blaster).

It still sounded nice, but it completely lost it's 'muchness'. Whether by accident or not, the sound of an Ahead snare in the sum of it's parts in my opinion. You change the parts, and it may still sound fine, but it won't sound like an Ahead!!
BoomBoomCha Posted - 30/04/2012 : 12:55:41
I have a 14" one - wonderful drum but I didn't get on with the S Hoop on the batter side as I have to do a lot of cross sticking and I couldn't get the same definition as with a triple flange or die cast hoop. When I changed this I'm sure the drum lost some of it's qualities

Also, I seem to shedding snares on the Fat Cat snare an awful lot so I'm considering a standard snare replacement probably puresound but I'm concerned these features are what makes this drum so good

Anyway, I think you'll be delighted with your new acquisition
qunvat Posted - 29/04/2012 : 14:28:44
Great...looks like a good buy then..
Muttzknuttz1 Posted - 29/04/2012 : 13:48:55
I love mine 13 x 6 Evans reverse dot cranked nice and hard,
Even has a GRD sticker inside although I bought from someone else!
Shaggi Posted - 29/04/2012 : 13:37:07
Yup, everyone should buy one and never ever part with it.
grdrums Posted - 29/04/2012 : 12:45:03
They are great drums. I've had several and I love 'em!

luke3030 Posted - 29/04/2012 : 12:45:02
didnt like the brass, but bought the stave wenge model last week, which sounds great.
Steevo114 Posted - 29/04/2012 : 12:42:19
Yes, Really nice sound cranked up a bit and rim shots are a doddle. Nice quality finish and the Trick throw-off is really nice. Downsides are the Fat cat adjustable snare mechanism fell apart when I left it in a slackened position as it has no lock-nut of any sort, and as pointed out by others on this forum, the adjuster protrudes downwards making it vulnerable to knocking a hole in the snare side head when you transport it.
I really like mine with an Aquarian Z-100 batter or a cs reverse dot.

mikedolbear.com discussion forum © 2002/10 mikedolbear.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000