When to upgrade shells
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Badman_batman
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
712 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  07:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Badman_batman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys as all of you who read my newbie post know i have been only drumming a short time, started with electric, gave it up for a while and then bought an acoustic kit and the bug took hold

Since buying it i have spent at least 2 hours a day practicing, getting up at 6 and being at my workshop for 7 to play till 9

I have spent 900 quid this month on upgrading the hardware and have pretty much finished other than maybe a china and have been considering a new shell pack. I was thinking about making the shell pack a bit of a reward if i kept up my daily routine but.......

Should i really spend another 500 - 1000 for new shells, as a newbie will i see such a difference to warrant the extra money right now. The current shells are Mapex V Series with evans EC2 heads and i have a pearl chad smith snare

As usual any help would be great as most of my decisions have been made from the advice of your guys on here and I'm really happy with my setup so far

Oh and by the way this forum rocks, i joined another before this one and promptly stopped using it, our friends across the pond don't seem to be as helpful shall we say and thats me being polite

www.thedrumchapel.co.uk
facebook.com/thedrumchapel

lee haydn
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2329 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  08:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's never a good enough reason not to treat yourself if you can afford to, iv'e seen a 3 year old Ludwig classic series for 1250 in a drum store, (Anglia Drum Center), marvelous sounding kits and will hold their value really well,,

Ludwig Maple Classic (Green Sparkle) + LM400
Sabian HH and Paiste Stanbul vintage
Pro' Racket
Go to Top of Page

benjisonfire
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
4867 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  10:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
V series are fine for a beginner.
don't want to sound rude, but if your still really new to this, your tuning and technique may be too inexperienced to get the most out of a more expensive kit.
I know when I had my first higher end kit, after about a year of playing it wasn't until a few years later I really saw what it could do!

Also if your not regularly giging/ recording the kit, it seems a bit of a waste to me?
I would save up that dough in a drummy deposit box. the longer you play the more your ears will develop, you may go from loving the roc sounds to being stuck on needing a killer grail Jazz ride (see cymbalholic.com to see how mad that gets!)

http://soundcloud.com/benjipage
www.facebook.com/thevacationsuk
Go to Top of Page

Prog
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
21687 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  11:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Prog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As above, heads and tuning make the most difference to the sound. As long as the drums are round then the EC2s should give you what you want.
Go to Top of Page

DyeHouseDrumWorks
Excellent Contributer

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  17:09:26  Show Profile  Visit DyeHouseDrumWorks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For me, buying kit is more about allowing yourself to happen across something you've just got to have. Have a browse round and listen to stuff over a good long period of time and you'll know when and what to buy when you come across it - rather than deciding on a time to spend the money and looking then for something to fit the bill.
It's easy to become a gear-o-phile early on!

Dye House Drum Works. Find us on Facebook and at at: www.dyehousedrumworks.com
Go to Top of Page

nick65
Advanced Contributer

1577 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  18:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DyeHouseDrumWorks

For me, buying kit is more about allowing yourself to happen across something you've just got to have. Have a browse round and listen to stuff over a good long period of time and you'll know when and what to buy when you come across it - rather than deciding on a time to spend the money and looking then for something to fit the bill.
It's easy to become a gear-o-phile early on!

yeah,that comes later on!

keep on keeping on...

Gretsch renown blue oil,8,10,12,14,22.
zildjian k mastersound14 hats,14,16,18 dark K's crashes,20K heavy ride.snares gretsch,ludwig,slingerland,yamaha,pearl mmmm.
Go to Top of Page

Badman_batman
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
712 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  19:53:26  Show Profile  Visit Badman_batman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies and advice but i kinda went against the grain as i popped into the drum shop in gateshead and fell instantly in love with a kit they had on display so after a bit of a deal i managed to get a really nice Gretch, its not to everyones taste, I'm 33 and i love rock and roll and one of my favourite guitars was my powder blue fender strat as used by buddy holly.

Anyway to cut long story short i bought the shell pack less the snare for 995 but its on a deposit layaway and I'm paying 100 a month till I'm good enough to warrant it and once its paid off i will collect it so its basically given me a reason to practice hard

pics

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z343/badmanbatman/Gretch%20Renown%20Cady%2057%20Blue/LH_f.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z343/badmanbatman/Gretch%20Renown%20Cady%2057%20Blue/8H_f.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z343/badmanbatman/Gretch%20Renown%20Cady%2057%20Blue/4K_f.jpg

hope you like it as much as i do

www.thedrumchapel.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

lee haydn
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2329 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2012 :  20:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your style,,,,

Pro' Racket
Go to Top of Page

David Smaylen
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
744 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  09:13:18  Show Profile  Visit David Smaylen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely beautiful. Bet you are counting the days until you can get your hands on that!

www.thecohenbrothers.co.uk
Tama Starclassic
Zildjian A Customs
Go to Top of Page

Jayremedy
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2697 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  18:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Jayremedy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that's bloody lovely that is, I see why you went all in.

Tama Starclassic natural birch : 92' Premier Projector white wrap : Jobeky customised alesis DM5 Pro: Yamaha 8000 tour in Black : Over 2000 posts of unknowledgable drivel.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/jayremedy/drum%20stuff/
Go to Top of Page

Badman_batman
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
712 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  20:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Badman_batman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I keep wanting to get the credit card out and just pay it off, its worse i keep a picture on my phone, never do that....honest its the worst thing ever

www.thedrumchapel.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

nickh
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  17:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
its worse i keep a picture on my phone

Now thats funny, (and sad).

To be fair though its a truly stunning kit so I understand where your at.

Yamaha Maple Custom 30th anniversary ltd. edition
Roland TD-6V
https://www.facebook.com/MitchellCollinsBand
Go to Top of Page

lee haydn
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
2329 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  18:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the new green and off white renown kit too,,

Pro' Racket
Go to Top of Page

Badman_batman
Advanced Contributer

United Kingdom
712 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  23:36:06  Show Profile  Visit Badman_batman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickh

quote:
its worse i keep a picture on my phone

Now thats funny, (and sad).

To be fair though its a truly stunning kit so I understand where your at.

Whats worse is now its a wallpaper, truly the saddest sac lol

www.thedrumchapel.co.uk

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
mikedolbear.com discussion forum © 2002/10 mikedolbear.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000